Thursday, November 8, 2012

What is prepping?



      Prepping is planning, assessing, acting and planning, assessing and acting.  That’s it.  

      It may help you in the beginning to set some goals.  Ask yourself questions like; Am I in the path of this year’s named hurricanes?  Am I likely to be stranded at home or at work during this winter’s snow storms?  Am I sure we are all headed for hyper-inflation? Do I know about the likelihood of solar flares?  What am I prepping for?  What are my needs, do I want to get home in an emergency or do I need to get out of Dodge?  Am I ready to live?  Am I taking family with me?

      No matter what your reason for prepping you need an immediate response plan, a short term plan and a long term plan.  Planning begins with knowledge of needs, goals and supplies on hand.  Let’s make some lists.  A short term plan should cover three days, moderate term is several weeks and long term is a foundation of the next few months getting you through the next years.

      Life is what you make of it and the same is true of prepping either as a lifestyle or as a hobby.  Getting started is either hard or it is not.  I have heard both comments.  If you set out looking for the negatives you will surely find them.  Prepping isn't about can’t but more what can? Getting started depends on you and your frame of mind.  Start by making lists.  

       Put yourself at the top of your list.  You are the most valuable asset you have.  You have knowledge and skills.  Take care of yourself.  I do not recommend you list your spouse or children as assets unless they know you mean that they can be counted on to help in an emergency.  No one wants to be made to feel like the family plow- horse, so watch your well intentioned words!  Still, you must take care of your family, so list them as an asset mentally or realize that they are dependent upon you to prep for them.

     List all the things you have that would come in handy in a lights out situation.  List flashlights, batteries, coolers, candles, candlesticks, ice packs, medicine, first aid supplies, canned food, bottled water,  bar b que grill, charcoal, propane stove, propane, radios, camping equipment, more batteries, blankets,  fire extinguisher, foul weather clothing, personal hygiene items, cash, bedding, pet food if you have a pet and want it to live, same for babies!  Also list your skills.  All of your skills are an asset. 

zombiehunters.org
       Overlook nothing.  Camping equipment counts!  Beach blankets may not sound like a prep item, but a big fluffy towel comes in handy in many situations.  Start thinking what you have that may have more than one purpose.  In a flood or hurricane, trees down or leaking plumbing after an earthquake, a big fluffy beach towel is good to have.  The emergency kit in the trunk of your car has many items you can use in more than a roadside breakdown.  There are flares for signaling or self defense.  There are often reflectors, tools, first aid kits, emergency blankets, ropes, flashlights, batteries and other useful items.  List them, don’t rob them for a new kit, leave that one in the car and remember it is there.

       Look at you.  You are prepping for disaster already.  You didn't have to buy anything yet and I bet this first list has started you thinking (and may have spawned new lists!).

       Now ask yourself, how long could I or myself and my family survive my potential disaster on what I already have?  What skills do I need to acquire to improve my chances?    

No comments: