Sunday, December 16, 2012

First ammendment

  Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.        
      I see the words and wonder not what the founding fathers had in mind, but how much of that am I willing to defend for someone else?
      Practice your religion.  Speak your mind.  Print your truth.  Stand out in the weather and petition the Government for redress. Go ahead.  I believe you have the right.
      Just, keep in mind as I get older, I am less patient with the follies of youth and any individual who comes knocking on my door talking about salvation their way or no way. Those people are as much a target for a good talking to as the kid with the petition for lowering the drinking age.  No.  And, I mean , No.  I don't mean whine at me and call me names and curse me as you walk away.  I mean, No.  
      I don't mean to waste my time telling this kid who stomped his foot and poked out his bottom lip at me that the age for drinking was lowered to nineteen in this state and it was a dramatic and tragic mistake that was corrected by law.  I mean, No.  I don't mean to tell a grown woman with too much perfume on, that Christ does not care where I go to church and that He and I are on good terms.  I mean, No.   So, what's the deal with the cursing and the mumbling when they don't get a new recruit?  
      I respect your right to your opinions.  Respect my right to think as I do.  No.  No thank you.  No. No!  What's with the cursing and name calling and telling me I will go to hell if I don't stop what I am doing and listen to you and agree with you and join you?  
      I didn't invite these door knockers into my yard.  They just show up and get all childish and foolish.  They have the right to say what they say, think what they think, petition the government for what they want.  Do I not have a right to decline?   
      When did "No thank you." or "I have my own beliefs" or "No"  Become an invitation for verbal assault?  When did the right to free speech become a wrestling match? with sides taken and names called out? I wonder if one day one of these people will strike me when I try close the door.  
      Don't even get me started about the Flan Guy and the Facebook!  When did posting an opinion online turn into a blood sport? When did the drug rehab guy selling flan find out it's acceptable to spit at you when you don't support his habit OR his rehab?  I do not like flan and I do not like junkies, current or ex at my door.
      Yeah, no.  Just someday when you wonder why no one is defending your freedom of speech, maybe it's because you cursed that person when you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it.

No comments: