Saturday, August 31, 2013

Food Trucks and the Prepper's Kitchen

You can't use this on a fire!
     In my prepping I have been gathering kitchen gear.  I have my everyday dishes and my pots and pans, but for a world without electricity, I also have things that cook over open fire.  Either wood, propane or natural gas if the lines are open when the grid goes down, the pots, pans and dishware you use everyday are not always suitable.

     I have posted articles on iron and aluminum pots and pans in the past.  Today, I went to an antique fair looking for a butter churn and realized I have a second kitchen in my storage.   (I win!)  Without any pain at all I have gathered pretty much the same cookware as I saw in the food trucks at the fair.  I have a portable kitchen.  I mention it to you as a way to learn what you may need in a grid down situation.  Often the beginner prepper is overwhelmed with the list of things needed besides the food and first aid.  


     To get a grip on the post TEOTWAWKI kitchen list, look inside a food truck while you are eating your spicy Korean Taco!  (I had a red velvet cupcake because prepping should not be a chore and cupcakes are better when someone else makes them!)  

I watched the sausage on a stick guy setting up.  He opened his back door to set up his electrical needs; his fan and his music.  THEN he turned on his fryer.  SOoooo, we know my mom didn't train him, he learned it at a school!  The first thing you should do is turn on your money maker, then your safety equipment, then your comfort machines.  You can learn a lot about a person by watching them in their everyday setting.  


     None of the trucks could operate without their generator or electrical hookups PLUS the generator.  Then, again, post-SHTF...you won't need cupcakes as much as you need to cook whatever you have stored.  Creature comforts were a big issue for them.  Apparently THEIR mom never volunteered them to run the little league concession stand every Thursday for an entire season!  I get that it is hot and a lot of work must be done to make a living, but gee, turn on the grill first.  Maybe, that's just me.  I digress.  The point is look at them cooking to finish their orders.  


     Look at the small space, the organization and the equipment.  There are propane stoves and grills, Wood burning grill are on some trucks.  They all have a finite amount of space to work with, like your storage space.  They all must buy the best equipment that will hold up under repeated use, high temperatures and low, They use stainless steel, aluminum and cast iron.  Their utensils are wood or stainless steel and very high quality.  Their knives are the state of the art blades that will last a lifetime, truly.  The propane cooks and the grill cooks have post-SHTF kitchens.  


www.themetalpeddler.com 
     If you can get to a restaurant supply store or you yard sale where people no longer cook at home, you should look into updating your kitchen gear to equipment that would last a lifetime under any conditions.  I no longer own any non-stick coated pans or teflon spatulas.  I also sent my "I just had to have that smoke glass pot" to the yard sale.  Like prepping in general, it is a lifestyle choice.  


myhandsmadeit.com 
     If you don't have an off site storage area for your prep ware and you choose to change your kitchen gear, storage can be a problem.  Then I remembered the eighties.  I am glad I no longer feel I should mousse and spray my hair into an upright position!! but the eighties kitchen offered a storage solution for pots and pans.  You spent money on those expensive things, show them off!  Store them where you can get to them!  THey look good and you know when to stop shopping.  You only need what you need, only.  The pots on the wall or ceiling free up cabinet and drawer space to store things you don't want to use everyday or to be seen by everyone.  

     

No comments: