Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sharpeners

I have been "prepping" in the kitchen.  What that means is I take my own advice and at a point when I feel it is needed, I rearrange the kitchen cabinets and shelves.  I take everything out and have a good think as I put it away.  I ask, "What was I saving that for?" and "When did that crawl up there?"  I was able to toss a few things, sort a pile of things to go to the food cache because that is what I bought it for and it is time to move it, and I 'found' a few things I forgot I had.    

For example, I found a pair of scissors I took out of the sexing basket to sharpen.  They were so dull, they wouldn't cut paper!  As I was sharpening them, my grandson told me it was good because he had been using them to cut open his popsicle plastic tubes.        Breathe.  Don't snap.  Breathe.  He's just a kid and doesn't know any better.  


I showed him where I keep the KITCHEN shears.  These are good enough to cut stems from fruit, popsicle plastic and even bones in chicken.   There is no need to go into the sewing room and lift scissors meant for fine fabric.  We noe have an understanding and I think it's a good time to sharpen all the shears in the house.  


We also got a chance to talk about the sharpeners.  There are different sharpeners for different tools.  I use the Fiskars brand sharpeners for the Fiskars brand scissors.  It just makes sense.  The right tool for the right tool.

There are however some very good generic or other branded sharpeners that do the job and should be considered by the prepper.  When you are stocking and storing tools for future use, don't forget to but the sharpeners to keep them in proper working order.  If you don't know what you need, ask.  And include the tools that keep your tools working in the tool purchasing budget.  

www.blaze1.com 
For more details, follow this link:
In my opinion, the sewing scissor sharpener is not the garden shear sharpener, not even in a pinch!  Ruin one and you ruin both! 

Also, make a mental note on the subject of cleaning the sharpeners before tossing the packaging that comes with.  You can cross contaminate disease in the garden just as surely as you can in a kitchen.  Keep your sharpener as clean as your tools.  Make note of any suggestions by the maker as to the use oil oils.  Some recommend sharpening tools first, then oiling them, to keep the oil off the sharpener.  Other helpful suggestions are made by the makers.  
The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry | My Culinary Joy


For sharpening knives, there are a number of electric motorized sharpeners on the market, but preppers don't count on electricity or those ads that say the knife never needs sharpening!  A whet stone is a must in every pack, tool box, kitchen drawer.  Also in the kitchen, the fine long knife sharpener is good to have and to know how to use correctly

Clean, Sharp Tools Work Better - Fine Gardening Article
As you collect axes and other outdoor tools, be sure to collect rasps and files to sharpen them.

I have posted this picture and this site for your tutorial because you will note the stance of the gentleman as he works.  Safety first.  Always file away from your body and always keep hands and body above or behind the work.  

You may think you are above the rules, but you weren't holding your stupid twenty year old managers' hand and leg, blocking her view and wrapping the cuts while waiting for the EMTs to arrive and lying to her telling her it's never as bad as you think.  Yes, cutting yourself with a box cutter is ALWAYS as bad as you think!!  

1 comment:

Will smith said...

Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us . We read your blog , share most useful information in blog . Thanks for share your blog here . hair scissor sharpening perth