Monday, January 7, 2013

Books for the prepper.

     Almost any how-to book will be a help when there isn't “a little man to call in”. 
I have already posted my opinion of Reader's Digest how-to and household tips books, but here are some other books to keep in mind for your home library.

     The basics of auto mechanics can be found at your local auto parts store.  The Advanced Discount Auto parts store sells a Chilton’s book for a wide variety of cars, trucks and SUV s.  I am sure there is a book department at Pep Boys and Rose Auto Parts as well as NAPA.  Check them out.  Maybe you won’t learn how to rebuild your motor in the driveway in one weekend, but you could learn how to change your wiper blades, change your oil, the proper levels for fluids in your car.  Learning how to change your own oil can save you $30 to $70 or more and you can put that money into your prep bank.amazon.com

      At Jo-Ann etc., Michael's, or Hobby Lobby, you can get books that teach knitting, crochet, and needlepoint.  Needlepoint is good to know for the skill of hand sewing.  A less expensive route is to look for these skills in the Simplicity pattern books.  If you see a crocheted vest pattern, the pattern is a step by step how-to crochet and how-to read any crochet pattern.  It is a great skill builder source.amazon.com

      How-to books can be found at your library. Ask your librarian when they ever have book sales to raise funds for new books.  Don’t forget to stock a history of the world, history of the USA, a copy of the Constitution, Camping for the beginner, Cooking over the fire, Colonial American skills, Victorian living (not just the fancy lacy living, but the hard work done in the home).

      You can go to www.majorsurplus.com or order the Major Surplus and Survival catalog by mail and pick up “How to survive the end of the world as we know it” by James Wesley Rawles or something similar, if you have a preferred author.  Also available is Cody Lundin’s “When all Hell breaks loose”, if you want humor in your survival guide. Or, as I often recommend, go to your local scout shop or online at www.bsa.com and get a guide to outdoor skills.  It has simple easy to follow instructions and diagrams.  The money goes to a good cause.  I have a survival guide in my car and a book on household cleaning tips.  I am a housekeeper, I need to research some nasty stains from time to time.  The survival handbook?  Well, that's because it's good to have wherever you are. il_fullxfull.336687079.jpg
etsy.com

     I have my tablet loaded with books I want to read or read again.  I have two SD cards, each one has a survival guide, a colonial or Victorian cookbook, a book on clothes making, and a collection of good books.  These cards are in a safe grounded with copper wire against an electro-magnetic pulse.  EMP is one of MY worst case scenarios.  I will have a good library to read because I have a solar panel with the proper adapters. 

      I have a similar collection of books printed on paper.  I am not storing books to use as toilet paper.  I am broadening my knowledge base now and easing my tension, knowing I have a good book to turn to in times of need.  I include a Bible for myself.  I have read the Bible cover to cover once as a mental exercise in the 80s.  I have slept since then and thus have a copy for reference.  I don’t care if you are comforted by a Koran, a Torah or the complete Hobbit and Lord of the Rings series.  Get a copy of what you need if you don’t have it. tolkienlibrary.com

     One of my sons is doing most of his research online, now.  This works for him.  He reads about pickling pork and he pickles pork.  He researches jelly and jam and I get a picture on my phone of homemade apple and grape jelly.  This is all well and good for now.  He needs a good cookbook.  He needs a good cookbook that predates the use of microwaves.  He really needs a cookbook that predates the use of refrigeration.  I guess we all know what he is getting for his next birthday!  Learn what you can now, and keep a handy reference library for the things you will need to know later.  

No comments: