Monday, March 4, 2013

Clothing for the prepper


     I have to go to work everyday.  I do not wear retreat cammo to work.  I do not wear any thing that says, "Hello, I prep for disaster, come to my house and take my stuff."  I blend.  I am a private house keeper.  I wear utilitarian clothing suited for the job I do.  I wear a solid color  'polo' shirt and a pair of loose fitting jeans, no shorts.  I wear a pair of heavy socks and comfortable sneakers with good soles for grip on wet floors.  Everything I wear is washable including the shoes.

I would let these guys clear the brush in my yard
if my doors were locked, but I would not let them
clean my kitchen!  (These are two of my four!) 
     Now, how is that 'prepper clothes'?  It is urban camouflage.  I wear the clothing of my trade.  My bug out bag is packed similarly.  If I were bugging in, I can see the wisdom in wearing olive drab and blending in with the trees when out of doors. Those clothes do not blend in my work setting. Camouflage requires you blend with your surroundings.  Did you see the tiger above?  or did you have to look twice?

      If you prep at home, and work in an office, come to work dressed as the others dress.  Anything else sets you apart and directs attention of others toward you.  I have a few relatives and friends who have reached the age when there is more hair in back than on top.  They work in professional settings and wear suits and baldy headed pony tails.  They are so cute, those Viet era Vets!  They are also each in their own office thought of as the outsiders. 

www.sodahead.com
      It doesn't matter one guy founded the company, he is an outsider and thought to be an old hippie and a little odd.  He is all that and much more, but we talked about urban camouflage and the impression the typical computer geek bald guy pony tail in a suit makes on people.  Apparently, that was what he was going for.  He wants people to think he is a laid back hippie-type computer geek looking guy in a suit.  They won't see what he's up to until he owns their company.  His look is armor!  

     So, prepper's clothing is basically a point of view.  First, you need good affordable clothing to get yourself to work and home.  You may be required to wear a uniform.   It may be necessary to pack walking clothes with the bug out bag and blend in the workplace.  Home clothing and after work clothing also needs to be durable, affordable able to blend.  

www.communitythriftstores.com 
     I like to purchase good quality slightly used clothing for my work at a local thrift store.  I could very well purchase a single new polo shirt at a department store for twenty dollars, wear it to work and splatter bleach all over it on the first day.  Been there, done that.  I prefer shopping the sale day at the thrift store where I can purchase five to seven good quality shirts for $20, get bleach on them and not kick myself.  
BDUs
majorsurplus.com

     For clothing after work, jeans still work 90% of the time.  Those jeans have never seen the inside of a client's home.  They are gently worn and kept separate.  I have a set of BDU's and olive drabs with my long term prep supplies.  I have a second set of worn drabs with the recreational camping gear.  Camouflage clothing for long term prep is best purchased new from a reputable dealer.  I like Major surplus and Cheaper than Dirt, two internet suppliers.  

     Even if you have to work in the upscale designer office, you can save a ton of money buying last year's designer outfits at a thrift store, save some dollars and put your money back to work in your community employing your neighbors.  Some stores have boutiques with this years clothing at a huge discount over any other store.  Even at the thrift store, don't get lazy.  Inspect everything for rips, buttons, stains.  Buy the best you can afford and only buy the things you can get a lot of wear from.  Better to have one good sturdy  black blazer and wear it over a dress one day, and with a skirt and blouse the next.  

     To be prepared for the future and hard economic times we spend less money but we make the most of it.  Know what you need, buy only that, and spend less whenever you can.


No comments: