Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bicycle Battery Chargers

http://www.econvergence.net/
The-Pedal-A-Watt-Bicycle-
Generator-Stand-s/1820.htm
     I was deleting some old news photos on my hard drive, yesterday.  I came across a news photo of a charging station for cell phones that was set up on a city sidewalk after Hurricane sandy blew through.  I realized, I had put bicycle generator on my wish list for prep supplies ages ago and just let it slip my mind.  Yikes!  Not good prepping!  

     I have access to a bike and I have small electronics.  Sure, I have a solar charging panel for those things, but, a backup system is a good thing to have in storage.  THis complete setup to the right is $158 plus shipping.  It includes a stand to convert the bike to a stationary power generator!  

SpinPOWER S1 Smartphone Bicycle USB Charger Kit
http://www.bike2power.com/smartphone-bicycle-charger-kit.html
     Other kits available online feature smart phone charge kits.  This small kit is under $80 and this site has many styles available.   They also offer phone holders to charge your phone while you ride.  



bike generator 5 (with laptop)-whitebg.png
http://www.instructables.com/id/
How-To-Build-A-Bicycle-Generator/
     While I was shopping online for a good deal, I found a how-to build your own generator at instrucables.com.  It looks simple enough and might be a project that will educate and amaze my grandson when he takes his winter break from school.  Imagine gathering all the parts and when he asks if there is something he can do on a dull day, whipping out a box of parts and putting together a bicycle generator!  I believe this is the way to earn the title Coolest Grandmother, Ever!  It is also a good way to teach science, thrift and making things when you need them.  

Bravo View 600 Watt Peak Power Inverter with Game Plate
www.walmart.com
     The inverter can be picked up at hardware stores, Big Lots, and Wal Mart's RV department in the sporting goods section, which means it can be purchased online at Walmart.com.  A 600 watt inverter with a game plate and socket is $30 to$40.  A 400 watt inverter is under $30. 

     The instructions for many kits online are free if you buy the kits, but thanks to You Tube, you can watch someone build a working model and decide if it is for you.

Bicycle Generator - YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAZIDFMRXY
Jun 4, 2010 ... Using an alternator, mountain bike and an inverter, we build a bicycle generator, and make 110 volt electricity, run a human-powered 220 Watt 

    Since most plans show converting a bike into a stationary bike first, you might knock the cobwebs off your old exercycle and create some energy!  
DIY: How To Build Your Own Pedal-Powered Bike Generator - The ...www.greenoptimistic.com 

No comments: