Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Ghillie suit

I picked up a portable blind at a yard sale today for a dollar.  I hope the husband doesn't come home and get too upset.  She seemed sure it was just some useless stuff in her garage.  I came home and after examining it, I realized I have four sons and only one portable hunting blind.  OOPS!

I thought, oh, well, I shall make them each a ghillie suit and keep this for myself.  Then I looked up ghillie suit online.  I went to ghilliesuits.com and although they seem like perfectly nice people and experts in their field, this is a blog for people prepping and living on limited funds. Their ponchos start at $79.  And did I mention I bought a portable blind for $!?  

     So, I went to Wiki what you wanna know to see what a ghillie suit is....

Ghillie suit

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  
The name was derived from gille, the Scottish Gaelic for "servant" or a "lad".[2] In English, this term was especially used to refer to those assisting in deer huntingdeer stalking orfly fishing expeditions in the Scottish Highlands.The ghillie suit was developed by Scottish gamekeepers as a portable hunting blindLovat Scouts, a Scottish Highland regiment formed by the British Army during the Second Boer War, is the first known military unit to use ghillie suits.[3] In 1916, Lovat Scouts went on to become the British Army's first sniper unit.[4]

Safety considerations[edit]

A U.S. Army sniper wearing a ghillie suit
Although highly effective, ghillie suits are impractical for many situations where camouflage is useful. They tend to be very heavy and hot. Even in moderate climates, the temperature inside of the ghillie suit can reach over 50 °C (120 °F). The burlap is also flammable, unless treated with fire retardant, so the wearer may be at increased risk from ignition sources such as smoke grenades or white phosphorus.
    
     I appreciate Wikipedia pointing out how hot it can get under a suit and hunting is hard enough without dragging along a lot of hot weight.  So, I am back to the idea that a portable blind is lightweight, portable, well ventilated and easier to make one over and over if I need more than one! 

 Specifications and Features:    Hunter's Specialties collapsible super light portable ground blind   Measures 12' long x 27  high unfolded   Folds up to 14  long   Holds together with an elastic strap when folded   Spun bonded polyester   3-D effect die cuts   Realtree APG HD camo
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com
Just to be sure this was a reasonable project for the early fall, I went shopping for portable hunting blinds online.  This is as close as I could find to the one I bought.  Mine is eight feet by 30"high.  It seems to be quite smaller than mine at 12" by 27".  But for a price of $22 brand new, this might be something someone would want to buy.  I however am thinking BIG!  or at least BIGGER!
Specifications and Features:
Hunter's Specialties collapsible super light portable ground blind
Measures 12' long x 27" high unfolded
Folds up to 14" long
Holds together with an elastic strap when folded
Spun-bonded polyester
3-D effect die cuts
Realtree APG HD camo

     I have several tents.  One was going to be recycled this year anyway, so the struts that are in fine shape and fold down to about 12" will make a great frame for the portable blind I can make with some camouflage blind fabric.  I have some cool ideas that are actually experiments waiting to happen....Like:  I have a heat gun.  It is a smallish sort of craft gun that I used for melting glitter and gift basket plastic wrap.  It will heat shrink other stuff, but....I'm not crazy!  or am I?  I was thinking I could purchase a reasonably inexpensive camouflage print tarp and using the heat gun, I could melt little holes in the tarp.  Melted holes will allow air to pass through, give me or my son's something to tie vines through or to poke a branch with leaves on it through to remove the rectangular line of the blind.  And...because the hole is melted...it shouldn't rip.  Crazy?  I think NOT! 
     I also have some camouflage netting pieces I can work with and some rip stop nylon fabric in my fabric stash.  The rip stop is also a fabric that can be melted to allow for adding sticks and grasses and air.  Air is good.  
     I will be posting pictures of this effort next month as I am very busy for the next few weeks.  If I don't set my hair on fire (it happens)  this could be a good thing.  Until then, Look at these pictures of manufactured blinds.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/
$26.99
But I can see you and if you are moving around,
deer can see you.  More sticks!!
This is an example of the mirror blind.  It looks great.  But, it is a mirror and when the sun breaks through or your dopey friend takes a picture, a flash could end your fun trip into the woods.   It only weighs eight pounds.  Not bad.  
Don't know this guy, but he would fit right in!  Clever
sue of buckets, Repurposed material, style!
 www.duckhuntingchat.com 
This came from my phone camera.  As God
is my witness, it jumped over the fence onto a
game preserve.  Florida Fish and Wildlife
are trying to establish a safe natural place for SAND CRANES,
but the deer like it too!

No comments: